Crumpled Bilge Keel and Anchor
On November 6, 1889, Lord Stanley, Governor General of Canada, embarked for Vancouver following a visit to Victoria. H.M.S. Amphion carried the vice-regal party and, while travelling in fog, struck a sunken reef off Killett Bluff, Henry Island. The ship was extremely damaged but returned safely to Esquimalt. The bilge keel or rolling chock was crumpled like a concertina.
An information plaque was installed on December 6, 1974 next to the Crumpled Keel at the northwest corner of Beacon Hill Park.
Anchor - SouthGate Entrance of Beacon Hill Park
This Anchor is the porter improved type used by 4 masted sailing ships in the 1880's. The Anchor was found in the Straits of Juan de Fuca and donated in 1961 to the City of Victoria by Mr. H.B. Elworthy of Island Tug and Barge